You don’t need to eat hot dogs and burgers when you go camping. After shouldn’t we be experiencing nature the all-natural way? As I’ve been making plans to hit the hills for mini adventures I have been planning my meals according to the energy I’ll need to enjoy the adventure. Here’s a really great and affordable meal that will feed you and your mates on a camping trip or for a full week if you are just looking for something that will be nutritious for food prep. I made it this week and it got better in taste after the first day in the fridge. It’s lasts 5 days and I have enough to throw in the freezer for later as well. This recipe could feed up to 10 people and all for under $20. Not a bad deal. Plus, it’s full of some of the best micro and macro-nutrients.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef (optional if you prefer vegan)
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 cups of water
- 2 tablespoons bone beef
- Beef broth powder mix
- 1 3/4 pounds beets (roots only; use the greens for something else), scrubbed and trimmed
- 4 medium carrots finely chopped
- 3 large celery sticks
- 1 large onion chopped1 large starchy potato such as Russet, scrubbed and chopped
- 1/2 pound Savoy cabbage thinly sliced into shreds (about 5 cups shredded)
- 4 large cloves garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 freshly squeezed lemon
- 6 tablespoons red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup chopped fresh dill
- Sour cream for garnish (optional)
After cutting up all the ingredients into small pieces, throw them all in a large cooking pot or slow cooker and put it on low heat for at least 6 hours. I used my slow cooker so I could set it and forget it over night.
I thought the taste was best after the first day in the fridge. For camping trips I suggest that you portion out jars and put them in the freezer. They will act like ice blocks for your cooler to keep your other food cold for the first day or two depending on how hot it is outside.
The best part of this meal is that it is full of nutrients that will heal your body. Beats are filled with antioxidants and vitamins.